Hello all! A few weeks ago, my wonderfully BRAVE mother traveled out of the United States for the FIRST TIME to visit me in India! We had an amazing time together - as usual! I thought it might be fun for HER to share the highlights of her trip with my friends and supports! So, without further ado, here is a guest blog entry written by the now well-traveled, Carol Elkins!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Upon my return from India, Jamie asked me if I would guest blog for her. I hesitated because, just like she did after her first visit to India, I needed time to gather my thoughts!! But, I guess I’m ready to give it a try now. Please don’t expect the eloquence you have come to enjoy from Jamie’s blogs…just know that even if my words don’t capture it, I had the MOST AMAZING experience in India with my most fabulous daughter!!!
So many people wrinkled their noses and voiced concern over my decision to travel alone to Mumbai. HELLO-my daughter is there…of course that was why I went!!! And, of course, that was the highlight of the trip! I so love and admire Jamie and seeing her in this new setting only reinforced those strong feelings I have for her. We always have fun together, no matter where we are, and this was no exception. But I also got to see a glimpse of the important work she is doing in India. She, and her co-workers, are SO passionate about the work they do…it is thrilling to see. It moved me to see the love, care, and hard work exhibited while I met the office staff and was able to join them in their morning prayer meeting. Jamie also was able to arrange visits to an aftercare home and an orphanage-truly highlights of my trip. I’m not sure how much I’m actually supposed to say about these visits but suffice it to say that just sharing love with these beautiful young ladies and children touched me to the core…and I can only hope the visits did the same for them.
May I brag on my daughter just a little more?! She is truly LGL (Living God’s Love). I was able to enjoy two Sundays of worship with Jamie at Avatar (love that name!) church. It is held in the beautiful home of a gracious family in Bandra with about 50 (that’s a guess…I didn’t really count!) people in attendance…very young to older, singles, couples, families, Indians and Westerners…but that doesn’t matter-all were welcoming and loving. One Sunday was a more traditional service while the other was a special prayer service. Again I was proud to hear Jamie publicly pray for others…oh, to have her way with words! And she was quick to sign up for a special trip to a children’s home to once again share God’s love with others. I am such a proud mom! Now that I have probably embarrassed Jamie and made you all sick with my gushing…I will move on!!!
OK, now to try and capture the rest of my visit without boring you or writing a book!
I was indeed scared when I walked off the plane after spending 15 in-flight hours thinking about it…but luckily all signage was in English and since I can read I really had no problem navigating my way through customs, currency exchange, etc. And even though there were literally hundreds of people waiting outside the airport I heard Jamie yell, “MOM,” and all was good! Experienced my first cab ride in the city of 22 million…SHOCK! (Later my first rickshaw (3 wheeled, open sided scooter transport) ride was even more harrowing!) Cars, buses, cabs, rickshaws, motorcycles, trucks, bikes, pedestrians EVERYWHERE…darting in and out every which way, some with no mirrors or headlights, and HONKING constantly!! All I can say-completely chaotic…but it works!!!
I was a bit shocked as we neared Jamie’s apartment…it was surrounded by dirt roads, garbage, poverty…well, real life in Mumbai. Her apartment was great, though, and safe…with 5 locks on the door!!! That “real life” part of Mumbai is everywhere…yes, piles of garbage, noise, smell, people, people, people, roaming animals, traffic, slums, construction, high rises…it is hard to describe…soooo much going on. But there are definitely beautiful parts as well.
Bandra seemed very westernized and we frequented many delicious restaurants there…Italian, Mexican, Chinese, coffee shops, even a Hard Rock CafĂ©…suffice it to say, I’m not a huge fan of Indian food!! And not only did we enjoy the good eats-the street children were the lucky recipients of our leftovers, and sometimes specifically purchased foodstuffs! Jamie would always share what she had with others in more need.
South Mumbai has beautiful, British influenced architecture and some lovely parks as well as the Gateway to India attraction. Elephanta Island-where you must beware the monkeys, who will attack for food-was a piece of history narrated to us by a local who apparently thought we hired him for a personal tour…not true…he just attached himself to us and thought at the end of it all that we would pay him his fee of 600 rupees. We were willing to tip him 100 rupees since it was nice… but we never entered into any sort of agreement with him! And I learned that NO ONE takes advantage of my daughter!!! Being American in India seems to bring with it the false impression that we are all rich and stupid! Whether it was a cab or rickshaw driver or someone trying to sell something Jamie made it very clear that she was not a tourist and did indeed live in Mumbai and would not be taken!!!
We did take a side trip for three days to Ft. Cochin in Kerala…very different from Mumbai…slower, very beautiful and resort-y with a large number of Catholic churches, Hindu temples and Muslim mosques. Monsoons had started there but I’m glad I could say I experienced the heavy rains without too much interruption in planned activities. And no, we did not have to wade in any waist high, or even ankle high, water! One highlight here was our Keralan Ayurvedic full body oil massages. Too funny and only worthy of a verbal telling-words on paper just cannot touch it!!! You’ll have to ask-if you dare!
A couple other interesting observations…at the movie theater you get and must honor assigned seats, the national anthem is played before the movie, and no matter the length of the movie an intermission is held and that is when you may get treats and use the restroom (btw-we always found a potty~never used a squatty!!). When entering a mall or a fancy hotel you had to go through security-a metal detector, purse check and a pat down! At the international airport you go through 6 or 7 such security checks-that hour and a half I allowed was just enough time-I seriously only had 10 minutes to wait before boarding my flight home! You actually do get used to the crazy cab and rick rides-you stop hanging on for dear life and the quick starts, stops and swerves become normal…so much so that if you happen to get a slow or cautious driver you wonder, “what’s up with him!!!” And one of the things I loved the most…the women’s clothing! - Fabulously beautiful colorful saris, salwars and kurtas…worn by most (you do see some western wear on women) no matter their station in life. To my eyes one of the most beautiful aspects of the country!
I know I’m leaving out, and even forgetting things, but I couldn’t possibly share it all! But as I said at the beginning of this…the MOST AMAZING experience with my most fabulous daughter! I’m thrilled that I undertook and accomplished this trip. I will treasure the memories forever.
Carol, you did a fabulous job of sharing your Mumbai experience! I felt like I was there with you! Oh, and thanks for being Jamie's mom... she is a blessing to me as well as the many others you mentioned. xoxoxo
ReplyDeleteCarol, you made the experience come alive and obviously have MUCH to be proud of - Jamie sounds incredible - just like her mother! I'd love to meet her someday. Thanks so much for sharing! -- Cindie
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing and thanks for creating such an awesome daughter. The Bretz's love you Jamie and can't wait to come visit!
ReplyDeleteGood for you Carol. That was AWESOME. Jamie had to be so excited for you to leave America to visit her. What an experience for you both. Lori Betz
ReplyDelete